Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Interesting concept

The most interesting concept for this class this semester was filtering theory. Filtering theory includes the sociological, preinteraction, interaction, and cognitive cues. I remember when I read this section of the text I was just nodding my head in agreeance over how we rule out potential partners. This theory may not apply to everyone, but I know from my personal experience that the process fits with me and many people that I know. Obviously we have to be in physical proximity of someone at some point to be intimate, so the sociological cues are very important because you have to be physically close at some point in order to gain a deep interpersonal relationship. Preinteraction cues are the step where many potential relationships are hindered due to physical attractiveness, or even because they are wearing shoes you don't like. Not everyone eliminates a potential partner over interaction cues, but for some physical appearance is an important factor in the process of selecting a partner. I also found the filtering most interesting due to my personal experience with my co-worker who I almost eliminated as a potential partner due to the fact that I was turned off at the preinteraction stage. Being able to see this process in real life makes me realize that theory itself is very interesting because it can predict, or help predict, the ways in which humans behave.

No comments:

Post a Comment