Thursday, August 12, 2010

My favorite concept

If you have been a reader of my blog at all, I think that you can see that my favorite concepts in this book have to do with ethnography. Ethnographic research has illustrated interpersonal relationships that lack pure subjectivity, yet they yield accurate and replicable results. In order to do ethnographic research, a researcher has to obtain some of the other communicative skills that we have been reading about over the course of the semester. These types of researchers have to decided where they want to provide self-disclosure or whether they want to take a more impersonal observer only approach to their research. They also must decide what type of relationship they want with their research subject which can become complicated and messy.

I have mentioned before that I hope to go into the field of ethnographic research which is why I like it so much. A career in research is not going to be the easiest path to take, but it is a path that will provide personal fulfillment and happiness (hopefully!). I hope to use ethnographic research to study the affects of waitresses in corporate settings, and am formulating a research question in order to address some issues that they face! So far the literature review for topics regarding waitresses have formulated tons of questions that I think could be asked, so I'm hoping to find my niche and provide some new information for people to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment